The Practice of Chiropractic
Chiropracitc Benefits And How Our Doctors Help
If you want to learn more about chiropractic treatment, or are interested in booking an adjustment but have some questions first, we want to help you. Look through our frequently asked questions to learn about treatment benefits, processes, and our clinic as a whole.
How do you get subluxations?
There are three basic causes of subluxations. Physical causes could include slips and falls, accidents, repetitive motions and improper lifting. Emotions such as grief, anger and fear can cause subluxations. Chemical causes could include alcohol, drugs, pollution and poor diet.
How do I know if I have a subluxation?
You can have subluxations and not even know it. Like the early stages of tooth decay or cancer, subluxations can be present before warning signs appear. The results of a thorough examination can show the location and severity of subluxations you may have.
Will I have to have x-rays taken?
X-rays can be helpful, but are not required in every patient’s case. Pictures of your spine, especially after trauma, can confirm other findings and make your care more precise. We will determine if X-rays are necessary once we review your health history and examine your spine. Our office only takes those X-rays which are absolutely necessary.
Does the chiropractic adjustment hurt?
Under normal circumstances, chiropractic adjustments are painless. In cases of recent trauma, such as whiplash, mild discomfort may be experienced due to inflammation. It is also common to feel a brief sensation in the extremities immediately following an adjustment due to the sudden decompression of the affected nerve root.
What if I experience some discomfort or unusual symptoms after an adjustment?
A small minority of people may experience discomfort, pain, or awkward symptoms after an adjustment. These responses are typically short-lived, occur primarily when the vertebra was significantly subluxated (out of place) prior to being adjusted. There are a few possible causes of such responses:
– Some people experience a detoxification of the body after an adjustment. When poisons leave the system, there may be discomfort such as headache, sniffles, a slight fever, drowsiness, or lethargy.
– Muscles will realign in coordination with the spine after an adjustment. Often, these are muscles that haven’t worked properly for years, and may have been weakened. This condition is temporary and will disappear after the muscles have strengthened themselves.
– Sometimes, nerves that were impinged for years are now “coming back to life,” and becoming more sensitive again. Unlike the majority of drugs, chiropractic adjustments aren’t designed just to “make you feel good,” but to “make you FEEL.” Improved sensitivity and awareness are necessary and desirable. Old injury pains may be reawakened in order for the healing to occur.
How long until I feel better?
Some patients experience almost instant relief. Others discover it can take many weeks or months. Many factors can affect the healing process, including:
- The severity of the structural misalignments causing your problem.
- How long you have had them.
- How rapidly your body responds to chiropractic care, influenced by age, mental attitude, elasticity of the muscles and ligaments
- Your ability to avoid additional stress and strain while your body is healing.
Do I Need a Referral to Visit a Chiropractor?
Absolutely not. Doctors of Chiropractic are primary health care providers, meaning you do not need a referral. If yours is not a Chiropractic case, a responsible Chiropractor will refer you to the appropriate health care provider.
Will my insurance cover chiropractic care?
Insurance coverage varies for chiropractic care. Over 80% of Ontario insurance plans will reimburse you for a portion of your fees. However, most have a limit on what they will pay, and do not pay for full corrective care programs.
In our office, we do not base your care plan on your availability of insurance, but offer you a number of payment options to best suit your budget.
Book Your Consultation TodayContact Our Centre
The Right Care For You
We have a care plan for your exact lifestyle needs and symptom demands. Explore our options to determine whether you need ongoing corrective care, wellness care, or a limited amount of symptomatic treatments.